Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was initially announced on June 15, 2012 via a memorandum from then-Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano.
On November 20, 2014, current-Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson issued a memorandum expanding guidelines for DACA in several key ways. Expanded DACA program will go into effect beginning in February 18, 2015.
Beginning on February 18, 2015, you may request consideration for deferred action under DACA if you:
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since January 1, 2010, up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012, meaning that:
- You never had a lawful immigration status on or before June 15, 2012, or
- Any lawful immigration status or parole that you obtained prior to June 15, 2012, had expired as of June 15, 2012.
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
On February 18, 2015, USCIS will begin accepting a new version of Form I-821D form. USCIS will accept the edition dated 6/04/14 until April 20, 2015. After April 20, 2015, USCIS will accept only the new Form I-821D. The new version is very similar to the previous version of Form I-821D. It is revised to reflect the expanded guidelines.
- Adjustment of Status under INA 245(i) Approved without an Interview! - January 27, 2023
- Joint Motion to Reopen Agreed to by DHS for an Old Removal Order - September 20, 2022
- Greencard through consular processing and I-601 waiver - September 19, 2020