VAWA Cases

Eligibility and Requirements for VAWA Green Card

VAWA Cases (under immigration laws)

Spouses, parents, and children who are victims of abuse from a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident can qualify for a green card under the provisions of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). They can petition for themselves without the abuser knowing about it, as the U.S. citizen abuser is not notified about the filing. Both women AND men can equally benefit from VAWA. There are specific requirements to be eligible for VAWA and not every situation will qualify to be deemed eligible for a VAWA petition. This is why it is important to consult with an immigration attorney to discuss whether or not you qualify for a self-petition under VAWA.

What are the requirements to self-petition for a green card under VAWA?

Eligibility for VAWA based on spousal relationship requires the petitioning spouse to show the following:

  1. Bona fide spousal relationship
  2. Petitioning spouse has suffered battery or extreme cruelty from the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse
  3. The marriage was entered into in good faith (and not only for immigration purpose)
  4. Petitioning spouse resided in a marital union with his or her spouse
  5. Petitioning spouse is a person of good moral character

NOTE: If you re-marry BEFORE the approval of the VAWA petition, the petition will be denied. However, if you re-marry after the VAWA petition has been approved, the new marriage will not invalidate the petition’s approval.

Eligibility for VAWA for a child requires the petitioning child to show the following:

  1. Bona fide parent/child relationship between the victim (the child) and the abuser (the parent)
  2. Petitioning child has suffered battery or extreme cruelty from his or her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident parent
  3. Petitioning child resided with the abusive parent
  4. Petitioning child is a person of good moral character (if over the age of 14)

Eligibility for VAWA for a parent requires the petitioning parent to show the following:

  1. Bona fide parent and son/daughter relationship between the victim (the parent) and the abuser (the son or daughter who is over the age of 21)
  2. Petitioning parent has suffered battery or extreme cruelty from his or her U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident son or daughter
  3. Petitioning parent resided with the abusive son or daughter
  4. Petitioning parent is a person of good moral character

What kind of documents help to make a strong VAWA case?

While VAWA cases are very case-specific and documents depend on each victim’s situation, there are some typical documents that can be submitted in support of a VAWA petition. Some typical documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Detailed notarized affidavit from the petitioning individual
  • Birth certificates of victims and abuser
  • Marriage certificate (for spousal-based cases)
  • Police reports for any domestic violence incidents
  • Hospital records and/or letter from a doctor if received any medical treatments for injuries from the abuse
  • Photos of any physical injuries suffered at the hands of the abuser evidence of good faith marriage and marital union/residence (for spousal-based cases)
  • Joint bank account statements and/or other joint financial records
  • Joint lease(s)
  • Joint phone bills, credit card bills or other utility bills
  • Joint tax return filings
  • Photos of the petitioning spouse and/with the abuse spouse
  • Communications between the spouses (texts, emails, etc)

This is not a full list of documents. Many people do not even such documents, which is why it is critical to discuss with an experienced immigration lawyer to see how you can still make your case for VAWA if you lack documentary evidence.

I have worked with many clients on their VAWA cases, both men and women. The sweetest victories were the ones where the clients wanted to give up half way through the case because USCIS kept asking for more and more evidence and the clients were getting frustrated with the process. I urged them to hold on a little longer and we prepared responses to each request for evidence. When the approvals came in, I will never forget the look of gratitude on my clients’ faces. And the tears of joy! Their lives changed forever with the approval. They were able to secure lawful status, good employment, were able to finally travel internationally, and in many cases, were able to bring their young children from abroad. Years later, I still get communications from my VAWA clients, many of whom are now U.S. citizens – above how just hanging on a little longer at my urging changed their lives for the better!

If you are in a situation where you are concerned about your safety in a domestic situation, you should first find safety for yourself and/or your children and once you feel safe, discuss your situation with an immigration attorney to see if you qualify for VAWA! If you succeed, it can truly change your life for the better!

If you would like to consult with me to discuss your case, please contact me for a confidential consultation!


Art V.

“The most wonderful service from Ruchi and this law firm. Given that [she is a] very competent [lawyer], [she] also [is] very personable and “real”, giving you a sense that [she is] just like your next door neighbors and friends. Secondly, [she was] actually recommended by seasoned NY paralegals who [doesn’t] even work for [her]! There’s no better recommendation, I think.”

Janice C.

“This firm help me from leaving the United States. Hi, My name is Janice. I just recently got my green card after 14 years in the U.S. I was in deportation proceeding and was order to be removed from the United States. I was terrify when the judge ordered me removed. I was refer to this law office. I call and was given an appointment to come in for a consultation. The minute I walk into their office it was warm and welcoming. They answer all my question. They explain to me my situation and what they will do to let me stay in the United States. They reassure me that they will not let me leave the United States. They were so confident in fighting my case, and I was comfortable. I put all my confident in this law firm. They told me not to worry. Which I did worry because I was ordered to leave the United States. They kept me updated with my case sending me emails, regular mails and phone calls. If I had any question someone was always there to answer my question. They make it their duty to get in contacts with you . Even though, I was under pressure when I go to their office, they always make me smile and reassure me that everything will work out. I am happy that I hirer this firm to help me stay in United States. They are professional Lawyers and I never regretted one day that I hired them as my lawyers. I will definitely recommend this law firm. They get the tough job done. Remember I was ordered to Leave the United States and this firm allowed me to stay after fighting for me. I just became a permanent resident in July. Thank You. Keep up the good work.”

Leah M.

“Ruchi is by far the best immigration lawyer in NYC that I’ve worked with. I had a complex immigration case and from the consultation until the end, she handled my case professionally and with compassion. She treated me with respect and genuinely cared about what happened to me, my case and my family. Without her help with my immigration case, I think I would have been deported. She is always friendly and cares so much about their clients. I can’t say that for other lawyers I’ve dealt with in the past.”

Yamit Z.

“Best law firm out there.. Ruchi Thaker is the most professional and sincere lawyer I have ever dealt with, she is very forward and straight to the point. My Mother had to wait only one year to get her permanent residence card and the process couldn’t go any smoother, granted there were some minor bumps in the road but Ruchi always kept us calm, and assured us she will handle things accordingly, and she did so with the utmost respect and grace and never gave up, right when we thought there was no hope she assured us not to worry. Also, she informed us of every step she was taking along the way, through e-mails and phone calls, letters, etc… you leave her a message and she calls back as soon as she can ( which is more than i can say for most lawyers), it wasn’t just about the money with this firm, they have payment plans and care more about satisfying their customers and reaching the same goal as their clients. We are very happy with the outcome and the sincerity of this law firm and the way they handle things and will 100% recommend to anyone and will use for further services if need be. THANK YOU!!!”