Immigration Blog

Learn more about immigration law through these articles

Online Form AR-11 – Noncitizen Change of Address

Mar 16, 2010 | Forms

Did you know that if you are not a United States citizen, you are required by law to notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of your address?

If you relocate from your current residence to a new address, you are required to notify the USCIS of your new address within 10 days.

USCIS will only recognize an address that has been properly provided through Form AR-11, Noncitizen’s Change of Address Card.  Form AR-11 can be filed online or it can be mailed in.

If you do not properly file a change of address form, USCIS will continue to send mail at your last known address on file.  USCIS cannot send mail to an address that it does not know about.  The only way it will know about a new address is if and when you file AR-11.

It is in your best interest to file the change of address form as soon as possible after any change in residences, so that you do not miss any important correspondence from the USCIS.  If you file AR-11 online through the USCIS website, you should print the confirmation email and keep it in a safe place as proof of submission of the form.  If you choose to mail Form AR-11 to the USCIS, you should send it via certified mail return receipt requested, so that you have proof of delivery.  This way, if the USCIS ever alleges that you failed to meet your obligation to file Form AR-11, and if your address ever becomes an issue of contention in the future (as it often does in immigration law where notice issues are involved), you will have proof that you notified the USCIS of your new address through Form AR-11!

Access Form AR-11 Online

Access Form AR-11 to prepare, print, and mail in!

Ruchi Thaker